Friday, January 18, 2013

A Relaxing Friday Night

I'm being totally lame tonight and didn't wanna go to "country night" at the bar with my friends. I like going out but... country night isn't really my thing. Not because I don't like country music, because I don't know any of the songs! 

So, I chose 8 untried polishes to swatch! My New Year's Resolution is to try all my untrieds... I'm sure many of you also have this resolution LOL! You'll have to excuse my deformed middle fingernail :( It broke last night! Also, there's no topcoat on any of these swatches, I wanted you guys to see the true finishes because we all know what shiny looks like! One last thing, I did no tidy up on these swatches (sorry some of them are brutal) and I sincerely apologize for my AWFUL cuticles... they're extremely dry and need some tending to asap :( 

The first polish I've got to show you is China Glaze - Peachy Keen. I got it about 6 months ago with a bunch of other CG colours - mostly neon/bright ones. I absolutely love peachy colours so I was really excited to try this one. It applied very well, a little bit see through on the first coat but perfectly opaque on the second coat. My only complaint is that the colour in the bottle is more of a peach, whereas the swatched colour looks more like a coral. It's still pretty, just not completely true to the bottle colour. 




Next up I've got Finger Paints - Fall-ing For You. I randomly got this one from Sally's because it was on sale for $2 - what a deal! Like most metallics, some streaks are visible but they aren't too bad. No problems with application. I didn't think I would like this colour as much as I do, since I normally don't like dark colours, and I like blue but I prefer pink. But having said that, I LOVE this polish! I'll be experimenting putting sparkles over it soon - the sparkles are fine silver sparkles with blue hex :) This polish was opaque on the first coat, but I've done two for the picture.  





Now we have Orly - Synchro. It's a beautiful light duo chrome, I also got it at Sally's for $2! Gotta love those sales! I wasn't sure how translucent it would be, so my first and ring fingers have white base coats but as you see it makes no difference, as this polish is opaque in two coats. No problems with application. It's a nice rosy pink/red, I really like it :) 






This polish is Sinful Colors - Lets Meet. I was super excited to try this one, because it's my first and only SC. I'm not really a huge fan of yellow to begin with so I didn't have any expectations for this polish. My first and ring fingers have white base coats, and middle and pinky have only a clear base coat. Application was fine, but this polish is extremely translucent. All nails have two coats, and as you can see there are still patchy parts. It's a nice shimmery yellow, but I don't think I'll be using it very often. If anything, it'll be a base for a design, possibly a saran wrap mani, maybe even a half moon mani. 






Next up is Finger Paints - Take It or Leaf It. It's like a darker version of CG Swing Baby, which is a darker version of NOPI The Next CEO. I've gotta say, I LOVE all three! I didn't think I would really like the FP one as much but man I think I'm in love! I do enjoy a dark polish every now and then, I think they're rather classy and elegant and that's what this polish is, but it's still fun cause it's metallic! Also, I really don't like gold... jewellery that is. But there's just something about a beautiful gold nail polish! Like most FP, application was great and this colour, like Fall-ing For You, was opaque in one coat, but I've done two coats for the picture. 






This one is Nina - Pearly Brights. I'm not sure if that's the actual name, or it's the collection because this colour is pearly and bright... but that was the only thing written on the bottom of the bottle. This colour is absolutely gorgeous! It looks oddly pink in the picture but it's more of a coral/pink/pearl in real life. This colour is pretty up there with the colour of CG Flip Flop Fantasy... I love how bright it is. It's neon but doesn't need a white base which is awesome! Like most neons/brights, it dries semi matte. The absolute WORST part of the polish though... THE BRUSH IS TERRIBLE! I should have taken a picture of it because it was just awful. Maybe some of you like the Nina brushes, or maybe I just got a terribly cut one... but it's awful. It's way too wide (like the width of my pinky!) and one side was rounded but the other wasn't so it was a square! Umm talk about annoying... The application was okay even though the brush wasn't, and the polish was opaque in two coats. 





Next is Revlon - Minted. The first time I saw this colour was on @higasaurus's instagram. I had a couple other mints but something about this one just stood out to me and I knew I HAD to have it. Revlon did another mint, very similar, called Jaded. I almost bought it but I'm glad I didn't because I was holding out for Minted! I think what sets this mint apart from other mints is that it's got more of a green tinge. Yes, I know mint is supposed to be green, but it's usually a lot whiter and softer. Application was great, this polish became opaque in two coats. The formula was a little on the thick side though but it's still very easy to work with. My only complaint is with Revlon brushes, they're rather skinny so it's a little annoying cause I like brushes like OPI's where I can polish a nail in 3 sweeps. With Revlon it's about 5 sweeps. This gorgeous colour makes up for the sucky brush though! 






This last one is Revlon - Whimsical, over Minted. I've been seeing lots of people talk about this polish on instagram, as well as Girly. I bought them at the same time and I finally got around to using Girly yesterday on my friend over Revlon's Lily which is a beautiful light purple. Girly was very pretty, I'm going to try it over pink next. Like Girly, Whimsical is stunning in the bottle. However, when applied, the glitter is very sparse and placing it is frustrating. There are two coats of Whimsical pictured below, but that's after extensive glitter placement. I might try it over a ligher mint again, because like I said Minted is just greener than most mints so it altered the colour of Whimsical a bit, I think it looks a little odd with the glitter but it's still pretty. I'm not completely sold on this polish. I think I'll need to experiment with it on top of different colours, or even in a jelly sandwich before I can make up my mind about it. 




If you're reading this, thanks for sticking with me through my first swatching session! I had a lot of fun swatching, because I got to see lots of new colours that I haven't before, and I even fell in love with a couple new ones! I've still got a ton of untrieds which I'm slowly getting around to using... and I have more polish on its way so that means even more swatching! I think this was a great way to end the week, I've been a little stressed lately but somehow polish always seems to relax me. I realize how sad that is... and that I'm rambling... so have a great weekend ladies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment