Wednesday, May 22, 2013

NUBS


OKAY. So two weeks ago I finally broke down and cut myself some lovely nubs. Only I hate them and my patience is being tested as I wait for them to grow out. Why did I cut them you ask? If you recall I had beautiful almond/stiletto/witch nails. They're a strong shape and I never had trouble with breaking. However, at the end of April/beginning of May I moved, and as a result of extensively using my hands, 6 of my 10 nails were ripped, most on both sides. I could have patched them all, but they would have been really weak and it would have just been a major pain in the ass. So, I figured I'd chop my nails off and start all over. 

Here's a vine of my before/after/filing process: https://vine.co/v/b2eDiD1rQAA 

I started by using my nail scissors to cut off the majority of the length, leaving about a 1mm free edge. Then I filed down and shaped that using a 180 grit file. Then I filed off the curtains (frilly things underneath your nails LOL - I call them curtains) with my 280 grit file and smoothed out the top edge with a 320 grit file. I left no free edge. 

When doing any major shaping I like to use a 180 grit first, and finish with a 280 grit. Smoothing with the 320 grit file isn't necessary, you can just use the 280 but I like the 320 because it's a tiny bit more fine. Also, my file is reversible with 280/320 so it's just easy. 

One of my rips was fairly deep but it's grown out nicely. Also I had quite a few splits, just from the nails ripping. Those I just buffed out as much as possible and kept them protected with my strengthener, polish, and top coat. 

I'm only using OPI - Nail Envy as my base coat. As an experiment to see how well it works, but also because I always use a strengthener for my base coat. I've heard Nail Envy doesn't work for everyone (nothing will) but it works amazing for me! 

The hardest part about cutting my nails was seeing next to no growth during the first week. I must have changed my polish 3 times and each time I saw no new growth. During the second week however, I started noticing a bit of a free edge. Then during the weekend I had the same mani for about 5 days and I noticed a significant growth between my polish and cuticle, and when I took my polish off yesterday I was quite pleased with my nail length. Well, as pleased as someone with a love for long nails can be with nubs! 

Have you ever done a major chop or given yourself nubs in order to give your nails a fresh start? 

XO Natasha 

No comments:

Post a Comment