Wednesday, July 10, 2013

First Chevrons

I've always been familiar with pinking shears because my mom loves to sew. It wasn't until I started looking at manicures on Instagram that I realized what you could actually do with tape. I'm not sure whose nails I saw first, but when I think of chevrons, I instantly think of @nailsofjessiek on Instagram. She is the QUEEN of chevrons! Click here to visit her blog. 

I wanted to start out with a really simple chevron so just in case I messed it up, not all of my nails would be ugly. Here's a picture of Jessie's manicure that I recreated. 

Screenshot from Instagram, credit to @nailsofjessiek
Here are my pinking shears, or zig zag scissors. I ordered these from eBay for roughly $7USD. Click here to view the page for them if you would like to purchase some for yourself. The reason I bought these on eBay was because I couldn't find any at Walmart, and I didn't want to bother going to any craft stores because my mom told me they would be expensive. (Who has money these days?! Not me that's for sure!) And being the eBay fanatic that I am, I knew I could find some for a great price! To me, it's worth the wait for cheap items. 





The most important thing when using tape for a mani is your scissors. If they're not sharp, you won't have crisp edges. Also, good quality tape is a must, of course. I use Scotch tape. One tip I learned from reading Jessie's Chevron Tutorial post is that you should double up your tape. This will prevent the tape from ripping as you peel it off. My first attempt at the chevrons was unsuccessful because of this. I also thought the pieces of tape were too big so I cut smaller ones for my second attempt which was successful! Here's the tape on my nail. 




Below are the polishes I used for my mani. 


OPI - Black Onyx, OPI - Alpine Snow, OPI - ElePhantastic Pink, NOPI - The Next CEO, Pure Ice - Bare It All

And here is the finished product! I'm SO happy with how it turned out. I really understand why people are obsessed with Chevrons now. They're just so crisp and unique, your eyes are just really drawn to them. 




I'm really excited to create more chevron manis especially since it's so easy! Once I the hang of cutting the tape everything went so fast. 

XO Natasha 

2 comments:

  1. What a pretty manicure ! I need to buy some zig zag scissors now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes you do, it's so much fun!

      Delete