Saturday, August 10, 2013

Nail Art August Day 4: Sparkles

For the "sparkles" challenge I wanted to try something really different... So I went with black! It's not the first colour anyone thinks of when they think sparkles, in fact it's probably the last, but I thought it might look really cool. 

I have a bunch of really fine loose glitter, so I figured I'd use that. I didn't want to just do full nails of glitter, I wanted to be a little more creative. I began by painting my nails black with OPI - Black Onyx. Then I used striping tape to section off parts of my nail where I wanted the glitter. I couldn't decide if I wanted to do vertical lines or chevrons, so I did both! 

I know it's really obvious how edited this photo is, but since this mani was black on black you couldn't see the design in the shade or in the light, so I had to use flash but that resulted in my hand being super bright. 


I think this mani is really cool, but I wanted the glitter to be more obvious than it was. I think if I were to try to do this again I would use glitter that has a bit of silver or some other colour in it so you're able to see it better on the black background. 

Like I said I sectioned off parts of my nail with striping tape and inside the tape is where I put my glitter. Since it's a little jar of glitter I either dipped my whole nail or dumped glitter onto my nail. This resulted with glitter everywhere on my nail and I had a difficult time dusting off the excess. If I were to do this design again I would do full glitter nails then paint on top of the glitter for an easier and cleaner design. 



Overall I really like the combination of chevrons and vertical lines! It's also pretty cool how the loose glitter ends up feeling textured when you've only put one layer of top coat on. I'll probably do this mani again, but use different colours, probably something more contrasting. 

XO Natasha 

No comments:

Post a Comment